The role the Black working class plays in building a strong proletarian movement
Some of the questions we will condider include:
1) Is DuBois’ concept of the “psychological wage” useful for understanding the dynamics of racism today?
2) Marable discusses the transition of the Black working class from being primarily engaged in agriculture to being engaged in industry and services. What impact did that transformation have on Black politics?
3) How would you explain the relationship between Black workers and trade unions? Were unions allies or enemies of Black workers?
4) What is the relationship between the Black struggle and the wider class struggle? How has this changed historically?
5) DRUM leader Mike Hamlin argued: "Whites in America don't act like workers. They don't act like a proletariat. They act like racists. And that's why I think Blacks have to continue to have Black organizations independent of whites." Do you agree with Hamlin?